The Stadtmuseum Abensberg’s 800 square meters of space displays a permanent collection on the cultural history of Abensberg as well as alternating special exhibitions.
- Basement: Neolithic Mines
- Ground Floor: Information, Museum Shop,Museum Café, Coat Check,Rest Rooms
- 1st Floor: Current Exhibitions, Museum Mission, Rest Rooms
- 2nd Floor: City History: From a Castle to a City, Rest Rooms
- 3rd Floor: City History: Life and Work
- 4th Floor: Religious Life in and around Abensberg
- 5th Floor: Famous Sons of the City, Research Cell
The permanent exhibition’s focus is based on the historical development of Abensberg. From the Babonen and the origins of Gillamoos up until Napoleon’s battle in 1809 in Abensberg, the exhibition explores the path from a castle to a city. The museum introduces famous sons of the city like Aventinus, the founding father of Bavarian History, recounts Sebastian Osterrieder’s Nativity scenes and religious life in Abensberg, and illustrates Abensberg’s guilds and cultural clubs.
In Neolithic times, 6,000 years before the first reference to Abensberg, one of the largest flint mines in Europe had already been exploited. Between 5,500 and 4,000 BC Neolithic man mined raw material here for production of his most important tools: flint, also called mineral quartz or chert.